The Lawrence County History and Preservation Society has been awarded a $5,000 grant from the Alabama Historical Commission to go towards Boxwood.  The funds will be used to begin preliminary work for restoration on the interior of the building.

Boxwood was built in the 1850's and is one of the few brick plantation enslaved persons dwellings surviving in Alabama.  It is all that remains of the Boxwood Plantation.  It was rediscovered in 2010 during the development of the Mallard Fox West Industrial Complex.  It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2013.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.