A fire that started in the living room of a residential unit at Chenault Apartments in Moulton on Monday was likely caused by an electrical issue, according to Moulton Fire Chief Ryan Jolly.

Jolly said Moulton Fire Department responded to the fire near East Street around 6 p.m. Monday. 

He said the fire began in a living room in one of the dual units that were part of the same building. 

“It spread up into the common attic. Both units sustained pretty heavy damage, but one unit is definitely a total loss—they’re going to have to gut it completely,” he said. “The second unit was not as badly damaged. The building itself is fine. It was just everything inside.”

Jolly said both units were occupied, but no one was home at the time the fire started.

He said Speake Volunteer Fire Department assisted in battling the blaze until about 8:30 Monday night.

“We were lucky we were able to get there quick enough to get an interior attack in place,” he said. “We notified Red Cross and the family. I think they are getting assistance through them.”

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.